Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chinese mama

You know how sometimes something happens to you and you think to yourself "I can't believe nobody I know is here to witness this"? Well, tonight that happened to me. I decided not to go for a run because the book I'm reading is absolutely captivating and I just want to sit and read. I had to take a break for dinner though, so I headed down to the little supermarket across the street. I went to my noodle stand and saw a guy getting some noodle soup, so I pointed and said "wo yao jega". I usually have no idea what exactly it is that I'm telling them I want, but it's a break from the regular and looks pretty harmless. The lady made me some noodle soup which was haochir (delicious). I sat at a table and ate across from the stand and smiled at people who walked by and gawked at me. Then the lady from the stand came and sat across from me with several bowls. One of them looked like spinach, the other....I'm not sure what it was, it could have been brussel sprouts or the stalks of asparagus or some funky green bean....who knows. Anyways, she motioned for me to eat them and so I did. Mom, I don't know how you did it, but I firmly believe you had something to do with my new Chinese mama getting me to eat my vegetables. I don't know what it is, but the Chinese have a way with vegetables. They make them so delicious I just can't say no! Anyways, she kept trying to talk to me and we would both laugh every time I said bu gee dao (I don't know). Her friend also came over and tried to talk to me to which I responded: __________ .......you can fill in the blank. Well, it's back to my book now. In other news, I return to Beijing August 15th! I can't wait to FINALLY move in with my roomie!

No comments:

Post a Comment