Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Monday, July 4, 2011

A (Normal) Day

Today is the 4th of July, and I am very sad about missing fireworks and hot dogs and the smell of every grill on the block being fired up, not to mention I could be spending the extended weekend in California with Cody. Despite all this, I managed to have a pretty good day here in China. I was looking to see if there was anything going on here in Beijing on a website called the Beijinger, and I found a place that was celebrating the 4th with hot dogs and fireworks and burgers and beer - American style. Why am I not there, you ask? Because the description said "The 4th of July is yet another American holiday celebrated by eating." YET ANOTHER?! I was insulted, and although I had to kind of admit it was true, I decided not to go, simply on principle.
Today I did the most American thing I could think of: I went shopping. Since I will be in Wuhan in exactly one week, I had to get proper supplies. Today I bought: tank tops for the sweltering heat, several DVDs for all those nights I will be flying solo, and rain boots for the reported monsoon-like rains that hit Wuhan regularly. I got told twice today that I was a hard bargainer and while they may have been joking, it still made me feel good. I think there are many different kinds of negotiators, and I put myself into the category that I call the "let's-have-a-good-time"ers. By this I mean simply that both the seller and I know that the original price is NOT what I will be paying because we both know it is way too much. My first offering is always far too low because it's just fun to see their reaction and because we also both know that I won't be paying MY first offer. Then we go back and forth and talk about "no-joking" price, always keeping a smile on both our faces, usually ending up somewhere in the middle - usually closer to my price. I quite enjoy it. After some serious shopping it was time for lunch and I headed to a place where I could get a cheese steak sandwich which was pretty delicious and even had a festive toothpick with shiny stuff stuck in it.   
Kites!

After lunch I decided to head back to Wangjing and go to the park that is down the street from my apartment. This turned out to be the best decision of the day. It was simply beautiful. Tree-lined paths, flowers, little benches, and a path that led to the top of a hill that overlooked the whole park. I was pleasantly surprised to find some people flying kites! I was mesmerized and sat and watched for at least an hour. Turns out flying a kite is not as easy as you might think (I've never actually done it), but the hardest part seems to be actually getting the kite up in the air.

The kite-flyers
















Just like a lot of places in China, there were several statues in the park. In case you didn't know this about me, I love any art that portrays the human body. While some people may think it's inappropriate and may shy away from it, I just find it beautiful. The dolphins are for my mama, because she likes them :)

As the afternoon became early evening, the park became a more popular place. It seems parents were getting off work and bringing their kids to the park for some family time and a nice walk. I discovered that the giant concrete circle in the middle of the park was a very popular place with the kids. There were roller skating and dance lessons going on, as well as other kids just playing. I even had a lady come and sit down next to me on the bench with her little baby. I really enjoyed watching a cute couple playing badminton and I had to laugh at how, in some ways, relationships are the same no matter where you are. She was horrible at badminton and kept laughing at herself and her boyfriend clearly adored her and thought it was the cutest thing ever. Love.
A smoggy yet beautiful setting sun
 On my walk home I was making a list of the unremarkable, every-day, average, and yet smile-inducing things that happened to me today: I ordered a smoothie in Chinese, I bought rain boots, I found my way through China via bus and subway, a teenage boy fell asleep slumped against my shoulder on the subway, a little baby smiled a cooed at me, I walked through a park and saw a dad helping his little girl learn to walk.........about the time I got to this thought I was home and decided to take the trash out. I figured I would just close the door but leave it unlocked since the big trash can where I empty my little trash cans is just down the hall. I didn't grab my keys or my cellphone. Mistake. On my way to the trash can, I swear, I was thinking this: "oh man wouldn't that suck if I ever got locked out of the apartment. I mean I'm in China, I have no idea where the "front office" of this place is, and if I didn't have my cellphone I would be seriously screwed......." Premonitions: I have them. I got back to my apartment and was horrified to find that I was LOCKED OUT. Turns out the doors in this building lock when they close, regardless of whether you lock them with a key or not. I had to laugh sadly at the incredibly irony of my thought not even 60 seconds before this. I tried to break into the apartment with my bobby pin which turns out to be much harder than they make it seem in the movies. I was thinking I would have to sleep curled up outside my apartment until Wednesday and then go to work at ask Peter, my boss's husband who has the spare key, to help me get in to my apartment (remember, I didn't have my cell phone). Just as I was surrendering to the deep dark sad place I had the bright idea to knock on my neighbor's door and see what happened. This is how I met my neighbors Wendy and Jen, two Chinese ladies who both speak remarkable English and were more than happy to help this dumb American who locked herself out. She called the owner of their place who somehow got a hold of Peter. While I waited I talked to my neighbors who gave me suggestions on places to travel in China. Wendy told me she had been to Scottsdale - what a small world! About 20 minutes later I heard Peter yelling my name through the hallway haha and I thanked them profusely and went to get let into my apartment. He laughed at me and told me next time to be verrrrrryyyyyyy careful. Will do. I am so grateful to have English-speaking and kind neighbors! Jen was even talking about having me come over sometimes to give her English lessons because she has an accent that makes it hard/impossible for her to say the /r/ sound. I will have to be sure and get them a present and write them a thank-you note. As I walked back into my apartment I had to add to my list: got locked out of apartment. (In China).
Me being sad and locked out with my stupid trash can. (re-enactment of course)
 

1 comment:

  1. The picture of you with the trash can is priceless! I am glad you met the neighbors even if it wasn't the way you expected it to be! See you soon! =)

    ReplyDelete