Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Exercise-Induced Confusion

Tonight I went for a little jog after work around the park near my apartment. Something to know about China is this: exercise here means walking...maybe pushing a stroller...but usually not jogging. Simply put, I made a spectacle of myself, yet again. As I ran by one boy, he said to his mother "jega ma?" (What's that?) hahahaha and I really laughed. Most of the people I passed greeted me with a look similar to this:
What are they confused about, you ask? Is it because I'm a foreigner? Could it possibly be because I was wearing some kind of (I guess) short jogging shorts? Perhaps was it because I was running outside instead of in a gym on a treadmill? My guess is a combination of all three. One cute little girl with adorable blue-framed Harry Potter-ish glasses smiled and waved at me, as though what I was doing was the most normal thing she could think of. Then I came across another pair of little girls, one of whom pointed at me, the other said "HI!" and they both giggled.
After my run I went to grab some dinner and passed by this sweet car (yes, I did take a picture of it in broad daylight. The Chinese people just chalk it up to my being a foreigner and, I assume, they assume I'm just a dumb tourist taking dumb pictures. I let them assume, it helps me get away with stuff like this):
As I was leaving the mall I was walking behind a couple and after watching them interact for my 2-minute walk home, I simply did not believe the claims he made on his shirt:

No comments:

Post a Comment