Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Full Belly

Last night I went to bed with a full belly for the first time since I got to Wuhan. After work Candy, Lisa, and I went to snack street. I thought it would be a good idea to go with people who actually spoke the language and could tell me what things were! It turned out to be one of the best ideas I have ever had. I kept asking Candy what things were and I was delighted to know that a lot of things weren't as scary as they looked! I got one of Wuhan's signature breakfast items: a couple pieces of fried bread wrapped in sticky rice with sugar and some other sweet spice. I also got some delicious dumpling soup, some ice cream (that really tasted like a snow cone), and some yummy watermelon. I will have to go back and try some of the other things now that I know what they are! After snack street we moseyed on down to the night market. It was shop after shop of anything you could imagine and it seemed to go on FOREVER! I ended up making a few purchases that I am very excited about:
An ADORABLE skirt, and some seriously stylish Chinese pants
Very cute hair bows for all my nieces except Allie b/c she's too little for these! Sisters quick, don't let your girls see, it's a surprise!
At one of the shops, this random girl was talking to Candy and kept motioning towards me so afterwards I asked Candy what that was all about. She said the girl told Candy she lives close to us and had seen me at the supermarket a few times. I thought to myself, how strange that she remembers me out of all the people she sees at the market.......and then I thought DUH dummy, you're literally the only foreigner here of course she remembers you. Haha.
Candy was also asking me what my Chinese name was and I informed her that I didn't have one and I would like to come up with one for myself. My new Chinese name is: Zhìnéng and in characters it looks like this 智能   it means "smart". Humility is one of my strongest attributes, clearly.

1 comment: