Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Change in plans

You know, there's this thing about surprises - they always....surprise me :) The plan for my stay here in China was for me to stay here at the Haidian center for the whole year. Chelsie is currently holding down the fort in Wuhan and, this just in, I'm going to be making an appearance there as well! That's right, due to some unforeseen difficulties I am going to be going to Wuhan in the middle of July and staying until the permanent residents arrive in late August. I am absolutely dreading the heat - Wuhan is called the FURNACE of China. DUN DUN DUN......haha. I thought I was getting out of the heat when I left Arizona! But not so, turns out China is hot and humid - a combination I don't know if I will ever get used to. I am both excited and anxious about my stay in Wuhan. I've heard the food is great and my co-workers are incredibly friendly and helpful. I'm just nervous because word is I'll very likely be the only foreigner around. That being said, I am anticipating my Chinese getting much better because, as Anna put it, "you're forced to use your Chinese". Fantastic! Well, that's not the only change in plans that I've had today. After I get back from Wuhan, instead of coming back to the Haidian center I will instead be going to Wangjing. This is not really a big deal because it's just on the other side of Beijing - about a 30 - 45 minutes away from where I am now. It's going to be a brand new center and I'm super excited about being the first American instructor there! I will be closer to the airport, which is good news for anybody who comes to visit me because it will be a shorter commute (hint hint....) I am bummed about leaving my favorite little dumpling place that I was introduced to here in Haidian but I'm sure if I really get a craving for them I can just hop on the subway and come get some. Speaking of subway...they have it here! There is also McDonald's (duh) and KFC and DQ and Cold Stone and Starbucks (again, duh). That was such a random thought, my apologies, my brain is a little hyper tonight! Anyways, that's all the news I have for the moment, I'll write more as soon as I do something exciting!

1 comment:

  1. And you better not do anything TOO exciting without me!! =) Can't wait to see your face in Wuhan! And yes.... you will be forced to speak Chinese. I recommend learning how to say, "Stop staring at me." or "Stop following me." or "I know you are talking about me." or "Yes. I am white. Is it that obvious?"

    ReplyDelete