Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Queenie, Turtle Love, How Much?!

It's been proven: people can be good friends without being able to speak the same language. The reason for this affirmation: the new front desk girl at the office named Queenie. First off she asked Chelsie and me to give her an English name. We came up with Jenny. Her name in Chinese starts with a Q, though, so she wanted an English name that started with a Q.....soooooo......Queenie it is. She also just so happens to have a little Chinese designer puppy named Doudou. They're these adorable little tiny chocolate-brown toy poodles (this isn't Doudou, it's just a random little guy I found on the internet):
She brings him in to work and just hands him to us so we can hold him and love on him. The only semi-problem with this is that our boss doesn't really like him in the center for some odd reason that is unbeknownst to me.....who wouldn't want this little fluffball around? So today Queenie brought Doudou into work and very sneakily handed him to Chelsie and me in the office and walked back to the front desk, all nonchalantly. We were loving on him and all of a sudden our boss walked into the office! So I hid Doudou under my sweatshirt and she didn't even notice. Queenie came in with this sly little grin on her face and took him from me and put him in her jacket and snuck him back home. She also got me a beautiful necklace for my birthday even though she only just joined the office crew and we don't know each other very well. Aaaaand she came in and watched us learning the Thriller dance today and gave us a big round of applause. She also has a cold and wore a mask into work today so she wouldn't cough all over everyone. I was feeling so sad for my new friend coughing and being sick all day so I asked Bella how to tell her I hoped she felt better. She taught me and I went up to Queenie and said "Kuai dian hao qi lai" and she got a big smile on her face and even teared up! She told Yogi to tell me that she was moved to tears....all because I learned how to say "feel better" in Chinese. She put her little mask on and came and gave me a hug. I just love her, she is so sweet. She even did a beautiful traditional Chinese dance at my birthday:
So. All in all, I have a new Chinese friend.

Then.....I came home tonight and did my first Insanity workout from week 2. I thought.....I was going......to die. It was awful but I worked through the pain because I knew Abby Vester would be proud of me. After my awful awful exhausting workout I went to the little convenience store downstairs to get some water.....and I discovered this:
Blackberry soda? YES. DE-LISH-US. (That's delicious spelled phonetically....for effect.....) I got 2 sodas and a water and asked how much it would be. I was suuuuper confused about the price the man kept telling me because it sounded eerily similar to "san kuai" which means 3 kuaui.....I offered a 10, he refused; I offered a 5 and he took it. When he came back with change I had to ask how much it was for one soda and his answer was......YI KUAI. (one kuai, which is equivalent to about 16 cents). Yeah.

Then Chelsie pointed out that the turtles were doing a very interesting thing that can only be done justice with a picture (they're best friends):
It was TURtally adorable.

1 comment:

  1. I really like those little turtles. Remember how happy they were to get the water to swim in?

    ReplyDelete