Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll be sharing stories all about my adventures in China, ranging from chopsticks training, food adventures, tourist-y journeys, roommate bonding, and many more to be sure! CAUTION: reading this blog may cause you to feel some or all of the following: jealousy, sympathy-related traveler's diarrhea, Theresa-sickness (a close kin to home-sickness), a surge for adventure, and Asian-baby love.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

China - Getting Acquainted

Well, here I am in China and so far I'm really enjoying myself! My flight was interesting....there was a baby who cried literally the WHOLE time, unless his dad walked around with him. I popped a Tylenol PM and slept for a few hours and arrived in China around 6 in the morning. Luyin and JILL picked me up and took me back to Jill's place where I met Anna who quickly became my China tourguide :) I felt pretty sad and homesick for a couple hours, but soon Anna and I met Jill and Chelsie (my roommate) and Alex and Nana (co-workers) for dumplings - YUM!!! Then Anna took me to Carrefour (pronounced car-four) which is like the Chinese version of Walmart, on steroids! There are so many things that I'm excited to try! The next day (Thursday) was my first day of training, where I pretty much just observed. I gotta admit there are a lot of songs and curriculum to learn, but I think/hope I will pick it all up pretty fast and I'm super excited to start my own classes!
The weather is pretty nice, a little humid but not bad. I hear it gets really hot in the summer though, so I'm not excited about that. I went to my first rugby practice last night and it was so great to be around a bunch of other foreigners who also speak English!
Now on to the food! I've really enjoyed everything I've eaten, which has included Chinese yogurt (least adventurous), dumplings, kung pao chicken, spicy meatball thing, eggplant, beef noodle (DELICIOUS), egg pancake doughy fried thing with bacon and yummy sauce thing for breakfast, milk candy, hah fruit frozen bar, and an ice cream bar. I haven't been super adventurous yet, but I haven't said no to anything yet either! I will be making a trip to food street sometime, and that will get interesting! I've been kind of a dummy and forgot my camera every time I've gone out, so I'll have to add more pictures later!
Chinese word that I learned: haochir (pronounced how chur) means delicious
Chinese yogurt, Strawberry and Noni fruit

My Chinese shampoo/conditioner! They smell yummy :)

Mango juice, Milk candy, and ice cream bar!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made it safely! We already miss you! Send me your address so we can send you some things! <3 you!!!

    ReplyDelete